Man in court for Moses Mabhida pitch invasion

Apr 24, 2018, 01:43
Man in court for Moses Mabhida pitch invasion

South African Premier Soccer League side Kaizer Chiefs have confirmed the appointment of Patrick Mabedi as the replacement for Steve Komphela, who left the head coach position late on Saturday.

Police said Sunday that two people had been arrested and more arrests were imminent following the mayhem at the Moses Mabhida Stadium in the east coast city of Durban.

Kaizer Chiefs's Vino Maphosa says that while they will be launching a probe into the riot internally, the police are definitely investigating the assault of a security guard on the field.

There are no reports of any of the players getting caught up in the violence but one steward was seriously injured after he was surrounded by a hoard of thugs, who beat him with chairs before leaving him motionless on the turf. "Answers must be provided on what happened", she said.

More news: Australia surfing event cancelled due to shark attacks

Footage from the semi-final of the Nedbank Cup at the Moses Mabhida stadium in Durban shows the scenes after the Chiefs lost 2-0 to Free State Stars on April 21.

A total of 18 men suffered injuries during the pitch invasion, most of the men being treated by medics at the stadium and five men were taken to hospital where they were treated following the invasion, Mazibuko said in a statement.

"At this stage the suspects were charged for public violence and malicious damage to property".

"It besmirches the reputation of the club and the millions of well-mannered supporters who make up the Kaizer Chiefs Family; it brings the game of football itself into disrepute and on a wider scale, it reflects very badly on our people and our country".

More news: Robbery suspect who barricaded himself in Chattanooga house is now in custody

Kaizer Chief's head coach, Steve Komphela resigned with immediate effect following yesterday's match.

The violence was condemned by South Africa's minister of sport and others.

"Hooliganism and thuggery of this nature has no place in football and acts of violence perpetrated by individuals are witnessed last night can not be tolerated".

A video of fans invading the Moses Mabhida went viral after the game.

More news: Jose Mourinho to drop Man Utd players for FA Cup semi-final

Loading...
loading...
loading...
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
popular