More Boys Pulled From Flooded Cave In Thailand

Jul 11, 2018, 00:51
More Boys Pulled From Flooded Cave In Thailand

As monsoon rains threaten to fill the cave with more water, diving crews are racing against to clock to deliver the last five boys and their coach from the cave system.

The first four boys rescued from a flooded cave in northern Thailand were in good health and demanding fried rice in hospital on Monday, the head of the rescue team said, as divers resumed operations to bring out the remaining members of the group.

The group went into the Tham Luang cave more than two weeks ago.

The four boys pulled from the cave Sunday in an urgent and unsafe operation that involved them diving through the cave's tight and twisting passages were in good health.

The extraction of those remaining is expected to take another two to four days, depending on conditions.

The soccer team had been trapped in the underground cave network since June 23, with flash floods causing water levels to rise, making it hard to get out.

More news: Pope Francis consoles Brazil football fans after Fifa World Cup exit

Rescued schoolboys are moved from a military helicopter to an awaiting ambulance at a military airport in Chiang Rai, Thailand, July 9, 2018. His colleagues said they would "not let the sacrifice of our friend go to waste".

A device by Elon Musk's SpaceX and The Boring Company, created to help rescue the remaining members of a soccer team trapped in a flooded cave in Chiang Rai, Thailand, is being tested in a swimming pool in Los Angeles, California, in this still image taken from an undated video obtained from social media.

"The divers that were assembled from many countries are proud to have conducted this operation until its success", Narongsak said.

The "Wild Boars" soccer team and their coach got trapped on June 23 when they set out to explore the vast cave complex after soccer practice, when a rainy season downpour flooded the tunnels.

A deluge could overwhelm efforts to lower water levels in the caves - more than 32 million gallons of water were pumped out after the boys were found alive last Monday.

Narongsak said the rescued boys had not been identified out of respect for the families whose sons were still trapped, adding that the boys were being kept away from their parents due to fear of infection.

More news: Why England Might Be Better Off Losing Their Final Game

The freed boys are yet to meet their parents, who late Sunday night were yet to be told which of their sons had been removed, according to the UK's Guardian.

Four boys were rescued Sunday before the effort was put on hold so the cave could be restocked with oxygen tanks and other essentials.

The Thai Navy Seals said in a Facebook post just before 10pm yesterday, "Tonight, we can sleep well", as the Day 1 rescue operation came to a close.

Rain was a concern as preparations were made for Sunday's rescue.

A total of eight of the 12 boys have now been brought out of the treacherous cave system by divers, including four who were brought out on Sunday, when the rescue operation began.

Former Thai navy SEAL Saman Kunan passed out making the dive on Friday and died. Kanet said the boys will be treated as disaster victims and given psychological evaluations and other assistance after their ordeal.

More news: Deadly Shooting Reported At Capital Gazette Newsroom In Maryland

The boys will have to navigate through submerged passageways in some places no more than two feet (0.6 metre) wide.

Loading...
loading...
loading...
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
popular