Kavanaugh Accuser Comes Forward

Sep 17, 2018, 00:48
Kavanaugh Accuser Comes Forward

Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh yesterday (Sept. 14) denied an allegation of sexual misconduct from a Peninsula woman, seeking to avoid a threat to his confirmation as new details emerged and several senators remained silent on whether they would vote for him.

The paper said Christine Blasey Ford, a professor in California, reached out to the Post in July as Kavanaugh's name appeared on short lists to replace Justice Anthony Kennedy, but she opted not to speak with the Post on the record for weeks. She says that both assailants were "stumbling drunk" at the time, and that Kavanaugh himself pinned her to the bed and tried to take off her clothes.

Ford alleges that the incident occurred when Kavanaugh and an unidentified friend brought her up to a bedroom while they were all at a party.

Kavanaugh has denied these allegations, saying: "I categorically and unequivocally deny this allegation".

More news: Governor Deal issues State of Emergency across Georgia

Ford said she told no one about the episode until 2012, when she was in couples therapy with her husband. A spokesman for the chairman said Kavanaugh has completed six Federal Bureau of Investigation background checks between 1993 and 2018, and that Feinstein, who obtained the letter in July, did not raise the issue during the hearings or attend a closed session on the nomination where the information could have been discussed.

The White House accused Feinstein, who revealed the existence of the letter late last week, of mounting an "11th hour attempt to delay his confirmation".

Feinstein called on the FBI to investigate Ford's story "before the Senate moves forward on this nominee". He said he has not seen the letter and plans to seek more information about the timing of its release.

Nor should Kavanaugh's accuser get a public hearing, especially under such clearly political circumstances. Neither Kavanaugh nor the White House offered the Post further comment. "I wish I could wave a magic wand and have it go back to the way it was", said the 85-year-old jurist. Feinstein has had the letter since July and did not discuss the matter with fellow Democrats on the Senate Judiciary Committee, which oversees Supreme Court nominations.

More news: E-commerce tycoon arrested

But if Republican leaders and the Trump team are confident they have enough votes to put Kavanaugh on the highest court in the land, there are ample reasons to think they will carry on with their plans. "The Committee has received letter after letter from those who've known judge Kavanaugh personally and professionally, including 65 women who've known him since high school, speaking to his impeccable character and respect for others, especially women". The call was already scheduled before the allegation emerged and Collins' office declined to provide any details about their discussion.

Coming forward to the Washington Post, Ford says she remembers the attack to be in 1982, when she was 15 and Kavanaugh was 17. She said if anyone was going to tell her story, she wanted to be the one to tell it.

Reporters, Ford said, had begun to make contact with her after the anonymous description emerged. She reached out to the Post before Kavanaugh was nominated, refuting the notion that she is part of some desperate last-ditch effort to derail his nomination.

More news: California to become first state eliminating bail for suspects awaiting trial

Loading...
loading...
loading...
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
popular